Home Page of the Illinois State Geological Survey-ISGS
ISGS PROJECT HIGHLIGHTS
- Illinois Basin–Decatur Project Hosts Delegation from China
- On January 24, 2013, ISGS staff members Sallie Greenberg and Randall Locke hosted a delegation of nine scientists, engineers, and administrators from the Shaanxi Provincial Institute of Energy Resource and Chemical Engineering and Shaanxi Blower Co., Xi’an, China, and the University of Wyoming, Laramie, at a workshop featuring a site tour and project overview of the Illinois Basin–Decatur Project in Decatur, Illinois.
Read more about the delegation »
- ISGS Manual in Illinois Environmental Regulations
- The Illinois Pollution Control Board has incorporated the ISGS publication OFS 2012-1 by reference into the environmental regulations of the State of Illinois, in this case
regarding clean construction and demolition debris (CCDD)—Illinois Administrative Code Title 35, Part 1100, Subpart A, Section 1100.104...
Read more about the publications »
- Waste Management and Urban Poverty in Africa
- ISGS Engineering Geologist, Christopher Stohr, participated in an international meeting in Nairobi, Kenya, co-sponsored by the Sister Cities International, Inter Region Economic Network Kenya and Eastern Africa Sister Cities, and the Chinese People’s Association for Friendship with Foreign Countries. As the project manager for the local part of the trilateral group composed of Urbana, Illinois (USA)–Zomba (Malawi)–Haizhu District Guangzhou (People’s Republic of China), Stohr signed an agreement for a development project...
Read more about the Sister City Project »
- ISGS Supports National Groundwater Awareness Week, March 10–16, 2013
- In partnership with the National Ground Water Association, the ISGS supports Groundwater Awareness Week. This is an opportunity to raise awareness about the importance of our groundwater resources. Join us in protecting groundwater resources by using water wisely (conservation) and by properly disposing of wastes and chemicals (protection).
Read more about Groundwater Awareness Week »
- CO2 Batch Experiments and Regional Spring Sampling Results
- On January 7, 2013, Peter Berger presented a talk titled “CO2 Batch Experiments and Regional Spring Sampling.” This presentation showed preliminary results of experiments in which reservoir and seal rocks associated with carbon sequestration were reacted in vessels with brine and CO2 at pressures up to 3,000 psi.
Read more about the presentation »
- ISGS Research Associate Awarded with Best Paper at the 2012 Geological Society of America (GSA) Annual Meeting
- In November 2012, Lois Yoksoulian, Post Doctoral Research Associate for
Geochemistry, was presented with the Geological Society of America (GSA)–Coal Geology Division Best Paper Award at the 2012 GSA Annual Meeting in Charlotte, North Carolina. Her paper, titled “Effect of Contact Metamorphism on Coal Geochemistry and Petrography: Implications for the Large-Scale Release of 12C-Enriched Methane,” was presented at the 2011 GSA Annual Meeting in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
Read more about the award »
- ISGS Acquires Illinois Oil and Gas Association Record Collection
- The Illinois Oil and Gas Association donated its collection of Illinois oil and gas data to the Geological Records Unit of the ISGS for assimilation into the ISGS collection. The records consist of geophysical logs, scouting reports, and oil well testing data from all areas of the state. The collection was begun in the 1940s. Approximately 60 file cabinets and 30 card files of records were delivered to the ISGS on November 18. The collection will be curated and material new to the ISGS will be scanned and available on the ILOIL website. For more information, contact Bryan Huff.
- ISGS Seminar Series
Survey seminars are held Mondays at 11am in the Natural Resources Building, Room 101.
January 7: Hannes Leetaru, ISGS
January 14: Dave Grimley, ISGS
January 21: No Seminar--MLK Day
January 28: Jennifer Frateriggo, NRES
February 4: Open
February 11: Don Johnson, UI Geography
February 18: Open
February 25: Open
March 4: Yiran Dong, UI Geology
March 11: Eric Neuman, UI Business School
March 18: No Seminar--Spring Break
March 25: Mark Brastner, ISAS
April 1: Cassandra J. Rutherford, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
April 8: Open
April 15: Jared Freiburg, ISGS
April 22: Sally McConkey, ISWS
April 29: Open
May 6: Charles Monson, ISGS
May 13: Yaghoob Lasemi, ISGS
View all seminar series topics
- Spring 2013 Public Field Trip
- The Spring 2013 public field trip is scheduled for Saturday, May 18, 2013 at Rock Cut State Park area near Rockford, IL. This field trip will acquaint you with the geology, landscape, and mineral resources of part of Winnebago County, Illinois. During this field trip, quarries will be visited to give participants an opportunity to see the rock strata in the area and collect specimens. Registration available online or by phone.
More information and registration info »
- Prairie Research Institute Science Camp
- The Prairie Research Institute is pleased to present the first ever Prairie Research Institute Science Camp from July 15-19, 2013. At the camp, students will work with Institute scientists on a variety of hands-on activities both in the laboratory and at field sites. The camp is open to Illinois high school students who will be juniors or seniors in Fall 2013 or graduating in May 2013.
More information about the camp »
ISGS IN THE NEWS
- Fracking will boost our rural economy
Congressional Representative, John Shimkus, contributed this editorial piece on fracking in Illinois.
Read the editorial
- Discussion, lecture on Illinois' coal fossilized forests
CARBONDALE — The Illinois Native Plant Society (Southern Chapter), Sigma Xi (SIU Chapter) and the Department of Plant Biology (SIU) will present a lecture and discussion by Scott Elrick at 7 p.m. Thursday, April 18, at the Life Science III Auditorium at SIU.
Read more about the lecture
Updated: 04/23/2013 mj