Edward Donald McKay III
- Quaternary and glacial geology
- Loesses and paleosols of the Mississippi River valley
- Illinoian glacial landforms and sediments of southern Illinois
- Geologic mapping and three-dimensional modeling of 7.5-minute quadrangles in Illinois
- Geologic history of the Ancient Mississippi River and other major Pleistocene fluvial systems in Illinois
- Stratigraphy and sedimentology of continental glacial and fluvial sediments deposited in Illinois during the last 200,000 years
- Surficial geologic mapping of the Henry 7.5-minute quadrangle, Middle Illinois River valley
- Optically stimulated luminescence (OSL) chronology of Wisconsin, Sangamon, and Illinois Episode fluvial deposits and interbedded Wisconsin and Illinois Episode tills in central and northern Illinois and implications for correlation of deposits and major aquifers
McKay III, E. Donald, Richard C. Berg, Ardith K. Hansel, Timothy J. Kemmis, and A.J. Stumpf, 2008, Quaternary Deposits and History of the Ancient Mississippi Valley, North-Central Illinois, Guidebook for the 51st Midwest Friends of the Pleistocene Field Trip, Streator, Illinois, May 13-15, 2005: Illinois State Geological Survey, Guidebook 35, 98 p.
McKay III, E. Donald, Richard C. Berg, Andrew J. Stumpf, and C. Pius Weibel, 2008, Surficial Geology of the Chillicothe Quadrangle, Illinois State Geological Survey, Illinois Preliminary Geologic Map, IPGM Chillicothe-SG, 1:24,000
McKay III, E.D., and R.C. Berg, 2008, Optical Ages Spanning Two Glacial-Interglacial Cycles from Deposits of the Ancient Mississippi River, North-Central, Illinois [abstract]: Boulder, Colorado, Geological Society of America, Abstracts with Programs, v. 40, no. 5, p. 78.
McKay, E.D., 2007, Six Rivers, Five Glaciers, and an Outburst Flood: the Considerable Legacy of the Illinois River, Proceedings of the 2007 Governor's Conference on the Management of the Illinois River System: Our continuing Commitment, 11th Biennial Conference, Oct. 2-4, 2007, 11 p. PDF file
Berg, R.C., E.D. McKay, D.A. Keefer, R.A. Bauer, R.D. Johnstone, B.J. Stiff, A. Pugin, C.P. Weibel, A.J. Stumpf, T.H. Larson, W.-J. Su and G.T. Homrighous, 2002, Three-dimensional geologic mapping for transportation planning in central-northern Illinois: Data selection, map construction, and model developments: Geological Survey of Canada Open File 1449, p. 13-17.
Keefer, D.A., E.D. McKay, and R.C. Berg, 2002, Evaluating uncertainty in geologic models from the IL29 Geologic Mapping Project: Ottawa, Ontario, Geological Survey of Canada, Open File 1449, p. 27-31.
McKay, E. Donald, 1999, The Detailed Geologic Map: A Critical, Missing GIS Layer: Illinois GIS and Mapnotes, v. 17, p. 36-40.
Grimley, David A., Leon R. Follmer, and E. Donald McKay, 1998, Magnetic susceptibility and mineral zonations controlled by provenance in loess along the Illinois and central Mississippi River valleys: Quaternary Research, v. 49, p. 24-36.